Egypt said 54 Egyptian pilgrims died in Hajj pilgrimage due to various reasons mainly from stress, heart diseases in Saudi Arabia’s Mecca, state-run news agency MENA reported on Tuesday.
Head of Egypt’s Medical Hajj Mission Ahmed el Ansary said that the age of the dead pilgrims varied between 60 to 85.
Saudi Arabia started Wednesday the Hajj pilgrimage in 2017, with more than 2 million pilgrims, including 1.8 million foreigners, expected to participate.
Hajj is the most important ritual among Muslims in the world, as almost all Muslims should perform it at least once in a lifetime. The Hajj-related worships will continue until next week.
Saudi Arabia announced tight security during the Hajj season, as it banned over 400,000 illegal pilgrims from entering Mecca, the holiest city for Muslims, for not having Hajj permits.
The government said it has taken serious steps, including fine and jail terms against violators, to ensure smooth Hajj rituals for pilgrims.
Saudi Arabia announced on Friday the success of the Hajj plans so far with the participation of more than 2.3 million pilgrims, especially that it was free from contagious diseases, Saudi Press Agency reported.
The interior ministry highlighted the success of most of Hajj rituals while stressing continuation to provide the best services until the departure of all pilgrims with the assistance of more than 300,000 staff and volunteers and 21,000 vehicles.